Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Whittling

I am very patient with my fellow food bloggers. Just because they prepare a dish I may not like, I continue to be inspired by their other recipes.

But then there are other times when one little thing in a post will be the catalyst that prompts me to say, I've had enough!

I did that with a food blogger about a year ago. She, who will remain nameless but you would know the name if I revealed it, posted a recipe for Caesar Salad, a salad I absolutely love and have made many times. Not much to it really. Olive oil, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, Dijon mustard, egg, wine vinegar and Parmesan cheese tossed with crisp romaine lettuce and homemade croutons (if at all possible), with a generous grinding of black pepper. The egg, given the risk of salmonella, is optional. The garlic, anchovies and lemon juice are requirements. It is not Caesar Salad without those three ingredients.

The recipe posted by this unnamed, famous food blogger omitted the anchovies altogether and added mayonnaise! {GAG!!!} And she had the nerve to call it "authentic." I called it abhorrent and immediately unsubscribed to her blog. She's gone on to write a book and have her own television program. So what do I know.

But that's how it happens. That is how I pare down my subscriptions in Google reader. I get all uppity and hit the unsubscribe button. I did it again today.

Today's targeted food blogger has been blogging for years. She's also written a book and appeared on national television demonstrating her unique approach. But her credentials mean nothing to me.

Today I read her post for Albondigas Soup, a traditional flavorful Mexican meatball soup with a spicy broth and lots of fresh veggies. I read the recipe ingredients to myself and when I was about half way down the list I read, "1/4 cup prepared pasta sauce (I used pizza sauce; it worked!)" {Gag! Blech! Heave!} WHAT??!!! Italian pasta sauce is going to take the place of beautiful, fresh roasted tomatoes in an authentic Mexican soup??!! Good God!! I've forgiven her many non-traditional ingredients, but she went too far over the edge this time and I've unsubscribed to her blog.

Now I only have about 115 subscriptions left in my Google reader. If I keep this up, I won't have anything to read.

No comments: