Friday, November 11, 2011

What I Know For Sure Today

T.G.I.F. What a week. It's flown by. That's what happens when you get old. Everything about you gets slower and everything around you continues to move at warp speed. It's mind boggling.

At conclusion of a whirlwind week, these are a handful of things I know for sure:

Joe Paterno, his former graduate assistant and all the other people who knew and did absolutely nothing to stop the rape of little boys at the hands of the assistant coach should spend some time in jail. And the NCAA should shut down the entire Penn State football program until a full investigation has been carried out and appropriate punishments have been meted. Anything less is unconscionable.

Rick Perry is the dimmest bulb in the chandelier. Trust me, this will not change.

When I read about the number of foreclosures going back up, the unemployment statistics and the continued economic woes, I am damn fortunate. I pay the bills on time. My house is in good repair. My refrigerators (2), freezer and pantry are full. I was able to afford plane fare to visit our oldest son and his family in December. I will feed four or five other folks besides us on Thanksgiving. Even though I continually bitch about the Kroger expansion and the idiot council members who voted in favor of it, I realize how lucky I am. That doesn't mean, however, that I will stop bitching.

Kim Kardashian's 72 day marriage and subsequent divorce had absolutely no impact on my life. Go figure.

Mississippi voters soundly defeated the Personhood measure which would have granted full rights to a fertilized egg. Proof positive that not all southerners run around in coveralls yelling "Yee Haw!!" Some are actually educated, rational, thoughtful-minded people who are not easily bamboozled by the far right wingnuts.

A southern California jury found Conrad Murray guilty of manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson. Appropriate, in my opinion.

All week long Herman Cain answered sexual harassment allegations from no less than four women. How he addressed them didn't surprise me. What was shocking was that his supporters could care less. Who are these people?

Finally, when you are having a crappy day and need to smile for at least five minutes, all you need to do is watch a video of a flash mob break out unexpectedly in song and dance, like this one at the Dubai airport.



No comments: