Saturday, November 12, 2011

This Was Not A Good Idea

I'm questioning myself. Why did I start this whole NaBloPoMo and commit to posting every single day for the month of November? I am not interesting enough to post anything worthwhile for 30 days in a row. Trust me on this.

So, you wanna know what I did today. Organize. Or more specifically, start to organize.

A couple of days ago, I worked on and finished organizing the pile of work papers that were sitting next to my laptop. Whew, that felt great!

Today I started working on organizing the sewing space which shares the space in the office/work room. I organized all the leftover fabrics and quilt squares in appropriate zip-lock bags. Sewing patterns are organized in a basket in the corner of the sewing table. Quilt squares currently in progress for at least three other projects are in their individual bags instead of laying in piles on the sewing table.

Then there are all those damn recipes, for everything from the Cranberry Horseradish Sauce recipe I found on the PBS website to a Chocolate Pecan Cake with White Chocolate Sauce that I've had since before we moved from California almost 20 years ago. And I'm not anywhere near done.

What I realized today is that I have a ton of recipes in my mom's handwriting that could also be compiled into a cookbook, just like the one I'm doing for my mother-in-law's recipes.....which, right now, is at a standstill. It kind of made me sad when I realized that I had neglected or ignored her culinary contribution to my child/adulthood, so today I organized her recipes in a pile for a future family cookbook.

What I accomplished today was getting rid of a lot of pieces of paper containing recipes that were easily converted and saved in computer files. I'm not done with that either. I have a couple of stacks to go through. But I have to admit that I feel good about what I accomplished, even though I won't approach a significant portion of it until after the holidays.

At the end of the day, my office recycle bin is half full, which means it is filled with the recipes that I have printed over the span of several years but I'll never try and finally discarded or recipes that have been converted to computer files.

I can't say that I'm on a roll, but from the looks of the office floor, it's more like I'm on a "RRRrrro...." In other words...whole words...just beginning.

2 comments:

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

I think you're interesting. And funny. And opinionated. And, right! ha. Keep on posting...you're doing great :)

Terri said...

Opinionated? Me? And I thought I was holding back. ;)