Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 29 - Something you hope to change about yourself. And why.

From Thirty Days of Truth

Day 29 and finally nearing the end of this 30-day exercise. Funny I should use the word 'exercise' since that will be my answer ~ my motivation to exercise, incorporate more physical activity into my daily routine, besides doing bookkeeping for Tom's business, cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc.

I do pretty well during the spring and summer. I like going to the walking trail and putting in a couple of miles in the warm sunshine. But once it starts to get a chill in the air...Phhttt!...motivation gone! I hate cold weather. The older I get, the more I hate it. And instead of going for a walk outside, I daydream about going for a walk on a warm beach. Apparently daydreams don't burn calories or make my heart pump.

Right now I'm exhausted. I can barely keep my eyes open after dinner. By 10:00pm my head hits the pillow and I'm gone, then I drag myself out of bed at 6:30am. It's a 30-year old routine...so routine I don't even use an alarm clock, but it's the dragging myself out of bed instead of feeling rested and refreshed that I don't like. I know I would feel better and more energized if I would just take a walk every day. I know it, but I don't do it because I don't want to go out in the cold.

Yes, that is what I would like to change: my motivation to exercise routinely and consistently. To approach it with an outlook so positive that it overshadows the grumpy, grouchy side of me that grumbles under my breath about the outside temperature.

The 'why'? Obviously to feel better physically, to be healthier, maybe even lose some weight.

When I began this blog in April 2007, I concluded my first post with this statement: "My problem is consistency. That is what I am struggling with now."

You would think after 4 years of hashing, rehashing, scrutinizing and self examination, I'd have that particular personal issue behind me. Perhaps if I would invest as much energy into the doing as I invest into the writing about the fact that I'm not doing...well, maybe I'd have run that 5K by now. Ya think?

No comments: