Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 28 - What if you were pregnant or got someone pregnant, what would you do?

From Thirty Days of Truth

What would I do if I found out I was pregnant? You mean after I stopped screaming? Or after I was revived and conscious? Or after I came back from my very lucrative million dollar exclusive interview with the National Enquirer who will publish a story about a woman who has been surgically rendered womb-less but somehow magically got pregnant?

Okay. I'll get serious. I'm 64 years old. I will reach my medicare eligibility birthday in four months. Having a child well into my 60's would be too risky for me and the child. Then I would have to consider the quality of life a child would have with elderly parents who could die even before his or her 18th birthday. So. Not. Right.

I would not carry the child to term and then give him or her up for adoption for three reasons, one being the risk factors I have already mentioned and two being the quality of life for the child. The third is that there are already too many children needing good homes and I would not take the additional risk that my child would become a casualty of foster home care. I don't have anything against foster parenting. We were foster parents when our children were younger. I just wouldn't want to take the chance that my child would be shuffled from one home to another. Also so not right.

The only other option would be to terminate the pregnancy. Sadly, that would be my choice.

No comments: