Friday, June 4, 2010

Some Things Friday for June 4, 2010

Nothing is better than a good night's sleep. Especially two nights in a row. I felt better yesterday than I did before we left for Savannah, but I feel great today.

It's 9:30 am. I have already made the pickled red onions for our fish burritos for dinner and they are steeping in the refrigerator. I've roasted some tomatillos and now onions are roasting in the oven. When they are done I will make tomatillo salsa...also for dinner.

About the Memorial Day weekend...well, we didn't accomplish as much as we would have liked, but Chris and Kelly are pleased with the progress, so I guess that's all that counts. We did have an opportunity (Chris made us take a break) to go to Hagan's last soccer game of the season. Tommy reffed that game. Jacob reffed the game on the field behind us. I am so proud of both of them.

So...moving forward....

Some Things I Love:

1. We got back early enough Tuesday to pick up Joe from our vet's office where we board him. Luckily, Tuesday is their late day and they are open until 7:30pm. Joe was so distraught, he nearly velcroed himself to Tom's leg for two days. Tom had to be especially careful not to step on the poor little guy. Joe is better now, but there's still a little residual whining.

2. Tom came home for lunch on Wednesday with good news. The Eagles are coming back to Little Rock on July 1st and pre-sale tickets were available for AmEx card holders only (check), with preferred seating for Platinum card holders (double check). Whoo Hoo!! Scored two awesome seats and general ticket sales for the general public aren't available until Saturday!

3. I also had a nice surprise in my garden when we got home Tuesday evening. Everything is growing very well. I am particularly pleased with the Meyer lemon tree I bought earlier this season. It has blossoms!

Meyer Lemon 6-2010

It's only two years old and I will have to keep it in a pot and store it in the garage over the winter, but I'm excited to grow my own Meyer lemons.

4. Unless you hate politics and haven't been following the Senate and Congressional races, Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) won the Republican Senate primary in Kentucky. No. That is not what I love. He's a tea-bagger tool. What I love is after the divisive statements Paul made about the Civil Rights Act (he thinks private businesses should be able to discriminate), the Kentucky legislature virtually slapped Paul's racist ass and adopted a resolution declaring any form of discrimination to be inconsistent with American values.

5. A three day work week and it's the weekend already!!

Some Things I Hate:

1. BP and other oil companies, even though they are not involved in the current oil catastrophe.

2. BP CEO Tony Hayward whining that he "wants his life back." Yeah, well, the families of the 11 people who died in the well explosion would love to have their lives back, too. Not to mention all the people on the Louisiana coast who shrimp and fish for a living, or the folks along the Gulf beaches whose livlihood is beach tourism. STFU and plug the damn hole!

3. Oil plumes.

4. The death of hundreds of thousands of birds, fish and mammals once the actual damage is assessed.

5. Offshore drilling and that the Feds have issued - just this week - yet another drilling permit for a site about 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana.

Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Sometimes the meaning of my dreams escapes me. Or could it be that sometimes I am not willing to take the time and energy to understand the meaning.

2. Did you see the video of the little 3-year-old girl crying over Justin Bieber? You can see the video HERE if you are so inclined. To be quite frank, I didn't even know who JB was until a couple of weeks ago, but apparently every pre-teen girl...and obviously little girls whose ages are in single digits...are in love with him. For the life of me, I can't understand why. He just looks like somebody's dorky brother.

3. I started this post early this morning, but took a break to head to the store, make the pickled red onions and roasted tomatillo and onion salsa, then head to the liquor store (no liquor sales here because it's a "dry" county...don't get me started on that issue), then to T.J. Maxx to look for Porcini Oil (they carry white and black truffle oils, so I thought, well, maybe), then to Dollar Store for balloons (I'm making flip-flops like Hagan's aunt made her and they are so darn cute...but did you know that NO ONE but Dollar Store carries packages of balloons???), so my point is...it is freakin' hot and humid. It's so humid that the webs of my fingers are sticking together. Ick. And it's only June. WTH??? Our weather went from cold, to about a week of 70's to freakin' hot and humid and it's stuck there!

4. Women who grow their toe nails long enough to slice a leg in half so they can have a "French manicure" on their toe nails. Ugly. Cut. Those. Nasty. Toe. Nails.

5. People who think Velveeta is real cheese. Um, No.

No comments: