Monday, August 6, 2012

A Breakthrough

Well, I do believe Joe has at least some minimal learning capabilities. I'm shocked. I didn't think it was possible.

I'm away from home at least two mornings a week. It's been so hot that I don't like putting Joe outside while I'm gone, even with a bowlful of water. So, I put him in the laundry room with his bed, water and food. But I take him outside before I leave and even when I'm home I take him out about the same time every morning. 

My directive is quite simple. As I stand with the back screen door ajar, I merely say {in the most stern voice I can muster}, "Joe. Let's go!" and I wave my arm toward the yard.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to follow him out to make sure he doesn't poop or pee on the patio, as he seems to have an aversion to grass, particularly if it's even the slightest bit damp, since he has convinced himself that he is an inside-only dog and all.

Photobucket


It's quite remarkable. I didn't know dogs could poop and pee on command instead of waiting for the urge. But now at least the command center is finally our backyard and no longer the living room carpet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe, I have the bestest friend for you. While Phoebe was alive, apparently she convinced him that she owned every bit of territory outside the yard, and on this he was not allowed to tinkle or poop. Which was fine by me, because I didn't have to carry one of those hateful shitbags when I walked him. Now that Phoebe is dead, he has changed his habits. Back to the bag.

Terri said...

I hated the shitbag a lot more when we had precious Goldie, who was about Albert's size. Now, with Joe, little dog = little poop. Not so bad actually.