Sunday, December 11, 2011

**sigh**

Sunday. Quiet. Exhausted.

I'm nearly over my upper respiratory thing. Tom has it now. He can barely breathe at night and, consequently, his condition results in snoring. Bad snoring. Deep, loud, resonating snoring. Which explains why I am exhausted. No sleep, or at least not enough to sustain me.

About 11 or 12 years ago, Tom developed a pretty bad snoring condition. It started out not too bad, just an occasional night that prompted me to leave our warm bed in the middle of the night to sleep in the guest room to get some sleep. After about a year though, I was picking up my pillow in the middle of probably 4 out of 7 nights to head for the guest room.

When Tom went in for an annual physical, he told our doctor about the snoring development and she referred him to an ear, nose and throat guy who recommended a surgery, of sorts. The doctor would inject an anesthetic to numb Tom's throat and burn off a skin flap that creates the snoring noise. OUCH!

Tom had a sore throat for a few days afterward and was sure his throat was going to swell shut, but after awhile the swelling started to subside. The doctor told him that he would continue to snore for a couple of weeks until he was healed and eventually the snoring would go away. The doctor was right. Within a couple of weeks, we were once again sleeping through the night, all warm and snuggly, in the same bed.

I know. He's such a saint to go through all that just to keep me in his bed.

But this last week has been reminiscent of that year before Tom had the surgery. I think I've spent two full nights in our bed. The other five nights, I've been awakened in the middle of night by a loud, echoing snore that vibrates Tom's body, which in turn vibrates the bed. So I grab my pillow, head down the hall to the guest room, close the door behind me (yes, it's that loud), climb into a cold bed and lay there for an hour or two until I finally fall back to a fitful sleep.

I'm so tired right now, I can hardly think.

No comments: