Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One Day You're In. The Next Day, You're Out!

With those ominous words, Heidi Klum, the tall, skinny, gorgeous host of Project Runway warns designer contestants every single week that they may be eliminated.

That's how I feel this morning. I'm out!

I was looking over TV Guide's list of the most popular TV shows and incredibly I only watch a handful of the shows from the entire list. When did I get so out of it? So uncool. So square (is that word even used anymore to describe one's stature in the social hierarchy?).

I used to be in. I used to watch the TV programs everyone else watched, and found them interesting and entertaining... All in the Family, Taxi, Maude, Sanford and Son, M*A*S*H, The Cosby Show, Rosanne, Mork & Mindy...for God's sake!

Now, while everyone is glued to the television watching The Bachelor and the Bachelorette (proof positive there are extremely shallow and superficial people in our midst), American Idol (kids getting verbally skewered for their talent shortcomings in front of millions of viewers by self-important celebrities), Keeping Up with the Kardashians (who the hell are these people and why should I care?), Jersey Shore (I see enough of Snookie and the Situation on the news...I do NOT need to watch that program), True Blood (could someone please explain to me our society's sudden fascination with vampires) and The Secret Life of the American Teenager (I am certain I do not want to know), I'm skipping over all of them looking for something different, interesting, intelligent, well-written and well-acted. So I settle for The Closer and Glee, both of which are in the top 25. Yay me!

Project Runway, however, doesn't rank even close. Project Runway is one of the television shows we record, but it's only #98 on TV Guide's list. Apparently I won't be winning any prizes for good taste any time soon. But I think I'll get over it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm worse. I only watch tennis.

The last show I liked was Arrested Development. But I mean, I really, really liked it.

Terri said...

You get tennis? No such luck here. We get golf, fishing, football, baseball and basketball. If we're lucky, a game of soccer.