The county I live in boasts a population of just over 100,000 people. Conway, the town I live in, is the retail center of the county. According to the economic report presented to the local Rotary Club yesterday, this is what we ate in 2009:
The top 10 grossing restaurants in Conway were;
- Chick-fil-A, $3.9 million;
- Chili’s, $3.69 million;
- TGI Friday’s, $3.62;
- Cracker Barrel, $3.61 million,
- McDonald’s on Salem Road, $3.2 million;
- McDonald’s on Dave Ward Drive;(inadvertently left blank, but somewhere between $3.2 and $2.7 million)
- Marketplace Grill, $2.7 million;
- Logan’s Roadhouse, $2.6 million;
- McDonald’s on Highway 65, $2.64 million;
- McDonald’s on Oak Street, $2.61 million.
Not counting the McDonald's with the blank dollar amount, that's well over $250 per person - every man, woman and child - per year. Given that Tom and I don't eat at any of those places, someone else is eating our $500 worth of burgers, fried chicken fingers and fries. I think that someone came to our house a while back to do some electrical work. His name was Tiny...but he wasn't.