Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 13 - A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days.

From Thirty Days of Truth

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise"

John Lennon/Paul McCartney, 1968

I loved the Beatles from the moment I heard their music. Uplifting, fun and spunky when compared to the gritty hippie-dippie counter-culture music of Joan Baez, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Doors, Iron Butterfly and Jimi Hendrix or the Motown dance music of Chubby Checker, Martha and the Vandellas, Little Eva and the Temptations. I'm a music lover, so I listened to and enjoyed all of it.

Unlike every other artist of the 60's, The Beatles never stayed the same. With every new album their music and lyrics evolved with a little different sound, more social consciousness and a new favorite song: Come Together, Hey Jude, Let It Be, Yesterday. But in 1968 they released the The Beatles 'White' album with Blackbird. That song was me. Listening to it made me, all at once, cry and feel strong. It gave me reaffirmation and hope. Even today when I hear the song, my heart sings along.

No comments: