Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Like the wino, I tend to get a little ahead of myself sometimes, too. And apparently sometimes I have no idea what I'm talking about. Take my post about my vacation for instance.

I told you that my vacation was awesome. I didn't lie. That part was absolutely true. But I misidentified this photo...


If I remember correctly from my post, I called this horse a "Fresian". Uh...wrong! Although I must clarify...or maybe more specifically and accurately, justify. First of all, is it "Fresian" or "Fresia"? To be honest, I have no freakin' idea. I'm just as confused now as I was when I was writing that part of my post. I thought "Fresia" was a very fragrant flower. But I could have sworn my cousin, Rickey, the accomplished expert horse rider-groomer-nutritionist-trader-of-all-things-equine told me her horse was a "Fresia". So I had to Google it to make sure. Then when everything I read about horses said "Fresian", I thought maybe I had heard her wrong or maybe I was holding my head at the wrong angle or something when she told me. Actually all of my confusion about "Fresian vs. "Fresia" at this particular point is not even relevant because the horse in that photo above is not either. Why did I change my mind? And how do I know I'm right now? Because I received an email which told me so and gently suggested the horse arena (ha ha) was not necessarily within my particular scope of knowledge.

Don't ask me what kind of horse that is in the photo. I have no idea. I know that it is named Job, Book II and is my cousin's race horse rescue project. I am assuming by the name Job, the horse is a him and not a her (Who knows. I didn't look).

Now, my cousin really does own another horse that is one of those previously mentioned "F-names", but I will leave it to my readers' discretion as to which "F-word" you'd like to use. And since the horse's name is Zoe, I am assuming it is a girl, but, again, I didn't look, so I'm not sayin' for sure.

Sadly, I'm only a chicken and sheep gal. I'm familiar with and not intimidated by them at all. But I admit, I don't know much about horses. The best I can possibly hope for is to be able to pick out a Clydesdale horse when I see one (hey, I've seen those Budweiser commercials, too). Anyway, what I do know is that I am a short, weak and bordering on elderly human and horses are pretty darn big and powerful. One horse, no matter what breed (except for maybe one of those miniatures) could easily dismiss my puny presence, decide to relieve me of the very spot on which I stand, take one step forward in my precarious direction and simply crush my foot into an unrecognizable mass.

What I can say with absolute certainty is that I think horses are beautiful animals and I admire those who are capable and knowledgable enough to work with them and make it look easy.

But, you know, I have a confession to make. To my very untrained eye, when I look at that photo above, I think, If you've seen one horse head, you've pretty much seen them all, but don't tell my cousin I said that. ;=)

No comments: