Friday, May 1, 2009

You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies. Steve Martin

The quote is from the movie, Grand Canyon. It's old, 1991, but it's still one of my favorites.

I have loved Steve Martin since he started as a stand-up comedian in the 1970's. He was just a funny, goofy guy doing stupid, goofy things on stage. I will never forget seeing him perform, and today I still laugh at the same stupid jokes when I see them on tv. Even now, when I think of the one where, in the middle of his routine, he walks across the stage to a glass of water sitting on a small table, picks up the glass of water, drinks a little, then straightens out his arm holding the glass away from him and commands the glass, "STAY!!" Then he releases the glass and, of course, it crashes to the floor. It's stupid and ridiculous, but I'm even smiling as I write it.

I love his movies, too. The Jerk, A Man with Two Brains, Little Shop of Horrors, Roxanne, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Parenthood, Father of the Bride, Grand Canyon and Shop Girl, just to name a few.

But, how did I get on the subject of Steve Martin? Oh, yeah, his character in Grand Canyon spoke the quote I used about movies.

Tom and I love movies. I love movies. Tom LOVES movies. Tom LOVES all kinds of movies; drama, action, comedy, romantic comedy, science fiction, crime and gangsters, adventure. About the only genre he doesn't care for is horror and he will still watch one of those if challenged by one of his grandchildren.

Me...well, let's say my range is a little less far reaching...romantic comedy, drama, some adventure, some action. Unfortunately, I've been known to cry at all of them. But, hey, I cry at the drop of a hat, so that's really no big deal.

So, anyway, there is a movie coming out this summer sometime that I really want to see. Julie & Julia. I saw the trailer last night while I was watching Hell's Kitchen (from the DVR) and since I fast-forward through all of the commercials, I almost missed it. When I caught a glimpse of Meryl Streep, I jammed it in reverse to watch the whole thing. And I have even scoured You-tube so you could see the trailer, too...



Who doesn't love Meryl Streep? I have to admit, I didn't really love her all that much in Mama Mia. I know, everyone else did, but it was a one time viewing for me. I think Julie Walters as Rosie was the best part of the movie. Anyway, I love her in just about everything else she's ever done.

I also loved (love) Julia Child. I have some of her cookbooks and I watched her show on PBS for years. She made cooking well look easy.

I think the movie will be fun.

• • • • • • • • •

So, what's up for your weekend? This weekend is Toad Suck Daze here in Conway. It's mostly vendors selling very country stuff, along with a lot of imported crap, and just about everything imaginable is served fried on a stick. Besides the common fried twinkies and fried Snickers bars, this year the foods not to miss are apparently the "tater dogs" (a fried potato wrapped around a hot dog...on a stick, of course) and chicken fried bacon (bacon dipped in batter and deep fried like chicken fried steak). Heart attack on a stick...

The festival starts this afternoon and runs through the weekend, but on Sunday Tom and I will be holding down the fort at the face painting booth that our church is hosting. Tom will do the painting, I'll do the yakking. It'll be fun, except that Sunday's forecast is 80% chance of rain. Organizers schedule the festival every year during the first weekend in May and it always rains Toad Suck weekend. You would think after 28 years the organizers might want to consider another weekend, considering that the festival occurs right in the middle of the spring rainy season...Helloooo. But, we've heard the refrain over and over..."We've always had it that weekend," like, if they changed the date, all the revelers would show up on the old date and the festival wouldn't be there. So, Sunday, rather than face-painting we will probably be packing up and getting out of the rain. But, maybe the rain will hold off until late in the afternoon. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
• • • • • • • • •

Today is my third and last day of my first week (God, how many times have I started this???) of the Couch-2-5K. I'm hoping it doesn't rain before I get out there and get it done. Monday I start week two, running 90 second intervals instead of 60 second intervals.

I have to continually reign myself in and not over do. My thoughts always take me to the extreme...if running three times a week is good, then running five times a week is better...that sort of thing. Three times a week doesn't feel like I'm doing enough, but I'm told that three times a week is optimum and I need to let my body recuperate. Of course, I have that little inner voice that screams, My body has been recuperating for 15 years. I need to move it, NOW!! I don't care if it kills me! Geez, I sound like Jillian Michaels...

No comments: