Monday, February 9, 2009

The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking. ~ Albert Einstein

Good ole Uncle Al. He was a smart guy, wasn't he?

Look what we have created. Computers, internet, email, texting, Myspace, Facebook, Blackberries, iPhones...there's no need to personally connect anymore, one on one, face to face, voice to voice. Everything is done electronically. Money and the quest for lots of it has replaced relationships. People are working longer hours to make more money to buy more things for themselves and their kids; always looking for the better neighborhood, the best schools, the nicer car, the fastest computers, the latest gadgets.

I know, I know. The argument is that they want the best life for their kids. But, you know what? It doesn't exist. There is no "best life." There is just life, and life is truly what you make it. But, without deep, loving, safe, encouraging, trusting personal relationships, none of the stuff means anything. A child can go to the crappiest school in the district and be a successful adult. Every college graduate, or CEO, or CFO, or business owner, or banker, or doctor, or lawyer, or pilot, or artist, or writer, or cop, or firefighter did not necessarily attend the best school in their town. Each one attended the school in their neighborhood, good or bad, and became a successful adult sometimes in spite of it and sometimes because of it. We need to stop blaming schools and teachers and principals.

So, along with teaching our children how to use Webkinz and electronic gadgets, teach them how to hug, share, listen and look someone in the eye when they speak. Teach them how to shake hands and smile. Teach them how to say "please" and "thank you." Teach them how to talk and converse with others. Teach them how to skate, ride a bike, play and get dirty. Teach them how to be a responsible individual, but also be a team player who knows how to cooperate, negotiate and win or lose a debate or competition gracefully. Yes, teach them how to compete, but do so appropriately, with dignity, honesty, integrity and always do their very best. Teach them to be courageous, adventurous and open to challenges outside their comfort zone. And, most important of all, teach them how to fail, because if they aren't failing, they aren't learning or trying.

Just my opinion....



FOR TODAY FEBRUARY 9, 2009...

Outside my window...the weather couldn't be more beautiful. Okay, that's a lie. Instead of 70 degrees, it could be 80 degrees, but I'll gladly take this, because the sun is shining and the breeze is blowing and the heat has been off for 4 days now. It's supposed to rain, but I'm not seein' any clouds yet.

Waiting…for stores to open (Hobby Lobby and Best Buy) so I can finish running my errands for the day.

Catching up on…paying bills, what else?

I am thinking...about having my sister's dog, Bella's vocal chords cut. She has become quite the barker! Okay, just kidding, but it still drives me crazy.

I am thankful for...Tom, everything he is.

From the kitchen...the beef roast is in the slow roaster. We are having shredded beef tacos with fresh pico de gallo, refried beans and Mexican rice for dinner.

I am wearing... my Nike cold weather sweats (again, because they are comfortable, not because it is cold, a long sleeve black and tan t-shirt and flip-flops.

I am creating... a pair of cold weather booties

It will get cold again, and I will need them.


I am going... to run a few more errands this afternoon

I am reading...nothing right now.

I am hoping...my health continues to be good.

I am remembering…what is was like when I was younger, full of energy. Unfortunately, that person got older and fatter and now has a lot less energy than I used to have.

I am hearing...Bella bark in the back yard.

Around the house...bark, bark, bark. I think I'm going to go nuts.

One of my favorite things... quiet.

Recently…I volunteered to decorate our church alter for lent. The errands I'm running today are for the fabric I will need.

A few plans for the rest of the week …besides work, I am finishing up the cross Tom made for our church and we will hang it up at the end of the week.

Plans to focus on…starting to finish the painting that needs to be done in the kitchen, dining room and trim on the doors, so I can start to finish the flooring Tom made for the den and the hallway.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...


Based on The Simple Woman’s Daybook


No comments: