Friday, February 6, 2009

Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it. ~ Albert Einstein

Good Ole Uncle Al was wrong. I hate science. You want to know how much I hate science?

I listen to NPR (National Public Radio) almost religiously. But the only time I will NOT listen to it is on Friday afternoons. A man named Ira Flatow hosts a program called, Talk of the Nation - Science Friday. Ugh! To me, it the most boring program ever produced, besides the fact that it makes me feel stupid.

I hate science. However, my job has flung me into the science abyss. I'm learning words like thoracic, lumbar, cervical, vestibular, patella, iontophoresis, flexion, blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum. And, guess what? I know what they freakin' mean.

This last week I spent a good part of my work day "on the floor." No, I wasn't throwing a tantrum. I was learning the in's and out's of physical therapy.

Poor Greg (my boss). The first day of my training, he used a four page list of the most frequently used medical exercises and therapies that he had prepared specifically for my training. He began at #1 and continued quickly down the list, showing me how to assist a patient in performing each exercise or movement, from the easiest to the most difficult and how to incorporate each piece of equipment, stopping every so often to laugh at my blank face.

Yesterday, I helped Miss "I" with her balance exercises; I held the restistence band while Miss "L" did her hip rolls (keep your feet flat, please); and I ripped the skin off Miss "A's" shoulder when I not-so-gently removed the very sticky electrodes (Oh, Yeah! Damn, I'm good!).

I am completely out of my element with this stuff. It makes me want to crawl back inside the box that I'm supposed by thinking outside of. However, give me an accounting program, columned paper, an adding machine and a mechanical pencil and I can work circles around anyone.

I'm thinking maybe I should stick to accounting and give up my quest to be a hands on people person. Unfortunately, there is a little, teensy, tiny, minute speck of interest in learning this.

No comments: