Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blind Woman Threatened Over 1¢ Bill

Sometimes I just can't help myself. I have to do something.

When I read this article on MSNBC.com this morning, I immediately looked up the address for the City Collector's office in Attleboro, Massachusetts.

From MSNBC.com:

"A 74-year-old blind woman was shocked when her daughter found a letter from the city saying a lien would be placed on her home unless she paid an overdue water bill.

The amount? 1 cent.

Eileen Wilbur told The Sun Chronicle of Attleboro the letter sent her blood pressure soaring, and pointed out that stamps cost 42 cents.

The letter warned of a lien and a $48 penalty if the overdue bill is not paid by Dec. 10. The charge was from the previous fiscal year, which ran from July 2007 to July 2008.

And what was City Collector Debora Marcoccio's response to inquiries as to why the City took such drastic measures for 1 cent? "My question is, how come it wasn't paid when the (original) bills went out?"

Well, I just wrote a letter to Ms. Marcoccio and attached a penny to it (Yes. Really).


Some people just take their position and perceived power WAY too seriously.

1 comment:

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

I wonder how many people have written the same letter. You're right about people with "power." Ridiculous!

gina