Friday, May 9, 2008

Some Things Friday for May 9, 2008

Some Things I Love:

1. Although I love both of my sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren, my youngest son, Chris, deserves a shout out this morning because today is his birthday! Happy Birthday, Chris!

2. My bedroom. What's not to love?



3. Goldie, even after the "shitty" day.

4. My husband, Tom, is the kindest person I have ever known. When I wake up in the middle of the night, like last night, it is almost impossible for me to go to sleep. Without a word, Tom will lay on his side, pull me close into our "going to sleep" position (basically spooning) and hold me until I relax and fall back to sleep. I am so completely in love with him.

5. This article cites a study that found that "body fat found under the skin - and particularly on the buttocks - may help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes." Finally! Something good about my fat ass!

Some Things I Hate:

1. I am officially sick of the rain. It seems like it has been raining constantly for months. Everything is always wet and muddy! Yuk! STOP, STOP, STOP ALREADY!!!

2. These.



My toes without polish. I am getting soooo lazy!

3. Nearly 100,000 people lost their lives in Burma because of the cyclone. The devastation is unimaginable. My heart goes out to all of those families.

4. Last night on CNN, they reported a story about the Barker Ranch, the site where police found Charles Manson and that some human remains found nearby. That's pretty gruesome, but what was even more so was that the reporter mentioned that this site is on federal land in the middle of Death Valley and tourists visit the site. That's just sick!

5. You know those animated logos that pop up on the bottom of your television screen during your favorite program and advertise other programs. I hate them!

Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Why is it NOT racism when Obama announces that he has 82% of the black vote, but it IS racism when Hillary announces that she has 68% of the middle class white vote? I'm sorry, I don't see the difference and I don't think either are racist; just reality.

2. People here in Arkansas build nice porches on the front of their houses and big decks in the back, but they don't use them. Unless you were raised "country", you don't go outside. The total opposite of where I was born and raised.

3. I don't know how people can live in New York City and sleep at night. I am being literal here. All that noise! I live on a horseshoe shaped street. You don't come down our street unless you live here, so we really have very little traffic, but I still have trouble sleeping because of newspaper deliveries, the guy across the street getting up at 4:00 AM to go hunting, the kid next door sitting outside with his friends at midnight just talking like kids do, etc. It's all just regular neighborhood noise; nothing exceptional. But, after living almost 15 years on a 10-acre farm where the only noises you hear are crickets, frogs, birds and an occasional coyote, my ability to cope with human-made noise of any kind is nonexistent.

4. What is it that people like about Bill Maher? Yeah, I know. I agree with most of his politics, his jokes are very topical and I think some of things he says are funny, too. But he is a sexist asshole and I'm just self-righteous enough to not watch him because of it.

5. We have lots of water here, particularly in the rivers and lakes, and although some of the water levels have receded, the water levels have set records and are still well above normal. More than half of our favorite campground near Dam Site Marina is covered with water. Boats moored at the marina are only accessible by other boats. There's a lot of griping going on. The boaters want the Army Corps of Engineers to open the spillway and let some of the water out of the lake into the Little Red River so the boaters can get to their boats for the summer. The ACOE refuse because of the flood danger it poses to the homes, businesses and land down river from the dam. Do the boaters care? No. Boaters are only concerned with what in the hell they will do for Memorial Day weekend. I have a suggestion. Leave your boat where it is and go to Riverfest in Little Rock. Huey Lewis & the News (shut up, I know they are from the 80's. I don't care!) ZZTop, Chaka Khan and more! Please, just stop bitching about what you can't do.

No comments: