Sunday, April 6, 2008

If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. ~ Meister Eckhart

I arrived home yesterday evening in time for dinner. I was exhausted and trembling from the constant motion of the car, but so glad to be home.

I talked to my sister, Kim, this afternoon. She had her last radiation treatment last Friday and a stint-like apparatus was surgically inserted into her vein because her veins are so small and collapse or roll when the doctor tries to take blood or inject her chemo. She will have chemo therapy at least once every week for an undetermined period of time.

I feel so grateful. I am healthy. Sure, I could lose weight, but I am the only one standing in my own way. I can change that with a little lifestyle adjustment. I don't need doctors or hospitals or drugs to live.

I feel so grateful. I am loved and the people who care about me express their love freely. Hearing the words, "I love you," feeds my heart and soul. And, I have been given the opportunity to share my love with words and hugs or shopping or cooking or cleaning or whatever is required of a loved one in need.

I feel so grateful. I have such a good life with so many options. I can still pursue another career... or even two. I live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood, with nice neighbors. I may not live in my most favorite place in the world, but I can do things here that I would not be able to do otherwise. I can work in the yard, read a book, go shopping, eat sushi, attend great concerts, drive a short distance to the lake and go boating or sailing, hike trails around creeks and waterfalls, take walks or bike on a nice trail.

I think it's a matter of perspective. It reminds me of what is really important...and it's not things or status or money.

So... my prayer today... Thank you.

No comments: