Thursday, April 3, 2008

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~ Jack Handey

I'm so tired, but it's nothing compared to the challenges my sister is facing.

I didn't see Kim until just before the funeral service. I didn't recognize her at first. She was a tiny, frail person ravaged by cancer, radiation treatments and chemotherapy, who was being literally held up in a standing position as she walked into the funeral home for the memorial for her husband. It took my breath away. I was afraid to hug her for fear even the slightest pressure would cause her pain. But, I did... very gently with both arms surrounding that tiny body. Shocking. But, I am also in awe. I do not know how she maintains her equilibrium. She is much stronger than I would be in the same circumstances.

She spends her days on the couch resting, with oxygen tubes helping her breathe more comfortably. Today she rested more than in the past two weeks and ate well. I was happy to see that. She will need to be well rested and well nourished to fight this battle.

Tomorrow morning I leave for home. There won't be any "Some Things Friday" for this week.

No comments: