Saturday, March 22, 2008

“You have no control over what the other guy does. You only have control over what you do.” ~ A.J. Kitt

A reader sent me an email about the post I did a couple of days ago about my own mortality.

I'm sorry, Brynne, but I inadvertently deleted your email before I responded to you, so I will respond in this post. Thank you for your comments of support and your question concerning my list of things I wanted to achieve before I die, my "Bucket List." Brynne said she was curious why none of the things on my list had to do with being closer to family or improving relationships, considering my current circumstances.

I went back and re-read my post and she was right. I hadn't mentioned anything about seeing my sisters, kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews or friends more, or making my relationships better or more rewarding. Brynne's question was a good one, but my answer is really very simple. I can only achieve those things I can control.

I can wish for things. I can hope for things. I can pray for things. But, I am powerless to change or control anyone or anything no matter how much I might want to do so. People change, grow or move forward only when they are ready. I read a quote once that sums up the process perfectly, "The soul moves when the soul moves."

So, my list is what I can achieve. Now, if you want a wish, hope or prayer list, that's another matter. And another post.

No comments: