Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wordless Wednesday

I know it is supposed to be Wordless Wednesday, but when I saw this video this morning my head filled with words.



This is a problem for me. Generally, a supporter of a political candidate can articulate at least one or two accomplishments or problem resolutions that their candidate brings to the table; something beyond "he can inspire." Lance Armstrong inspires. Maya Angelou inspires. Toni Morrison inspires. Billy Graham inspires. But I don't believe any of them are qualified to be President of the United States.

This clip is not the only incidence of a supporter's inability to move beyond "he can inspire" or "he can bring people together." I've seen other clips of his "fans" who were unable to answer the same question.

They can't tell you that rather than voting yes or no to confirm Michael Mukasey as Attorney General, Obama just didn't vote. He also didn't bother to vote on a bill to reauthorize the Head Start Act (to improve program quality and expand access for this program). He didn't vote on a bill that would provide for the conservation and development of water resources. He didn't vote on the bill to amend title XXI of the Social Security Act to extend and improve the Children's Health Insurance Program. He didn't vote on the Amendment that would prohibit providing funds to doctors and clinics who perform abortions. I could go on and on. He doesn't vote more than he votes. And what is his current job? Senator? Isn't representing his constituents and the American people by voting on our behalf his job?? But, I digress somewhat.

I think that is part of what is bothering me about Barack Obama and his campaign. He generates "fans" not supporters. That scares the hell out of me because "fans" aren't thinking about the future. They're not thinking about the war, the economy, health care or the deficit. Fans are thinking about the celebrity, the subject of their adoration. Watching an Obama event is like watching a rock concert. Instead of chanting the titles of songs they want to hear or singing the lyrics along with the band, Obama "fans" chant excitedly, "Yes We Can", "Yes We Can." But as Craig Crawford says in his blog on Huffington Post, "Yes We Can WHAT?"

When his "fans" can answer that question with some cold, hard facts and solutions, then and only then will I consider changing my mind.

No comments: