Friday, February 15, 2008

Some Things Friday for February 15, 2008

After a very over-indulgent Valentine's Day dinner that you can read about tomorrow on my other blog, Terri's Table, it's time to cleanse the soul, so to speak.

Some Things I Love:

1. I love planning a special meal or event just as much as I love executing it. Valentine's Day dinner was no exception. It was perfect.

2. I love my husband. He is warm, loving, funny, generous, hard working and loves me (go figure).

3. The House passed a contempt of congress resolution yesterday. The resolution holds Bush lackeys Josh Bolten and Harriet Miers in contempt of Congress for refusing to testify about the firing of certain US Attorneys. It appears that some of our politicians weren't castrated after all.

4. A cat's purr.

5. Book stores. I could spend hours just browsing.

Some Things I Hate:

1. This is precisely why I hate the tabloids. In the market last week, I passed an OK! magazine and Eric Dane (McSteamy on Grey's Anatomy) surrounded by a caption that read, "My Fight Against Cancer." I thought to myself, "How sad. I hope he survives." This week I find out that his "fight against cancer" was merely having some malignant cells on his lip frozen off with liquid nitrogen in a doctor's office.

2. Being bitchy with Tom when I am really pissed about something else.

3. Now that Arkansas (FINALLY) has a law forbidding smoking in public places, everyone stands outside, right in front of the entrance, smoking! Ick, ick, ick!

4. MTV. I guess I'm just an old fogey. I can't believe parents allow their teenagers to watch that stuff.

5. Going to a movie theater. People have developed the "My Living Room Syndrome" and have forgotten that they are NOT sitting on their own couch in their own living room and they can't pause the movie to carry on a conversation! In other words, people can't shut up!

Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. What is it with Congress and MSM (mainstream media)? We have a war in Iraq with our young men and women dying every single day. We have a primary election season where the race is closer than I can ever remember. We have a Senate that is voting to ban waterboarding. We have an economy in the toilet and we have record foreclosures. And, what do we get to watch on CNN and MSNBC all day long? We get to watch Congress interrogate a baseball player about his purported use of HGH. Who cares? Why is this an F5 on the Fujita scale of importance in the daily lives of Americans?

2. First, full disclosure. I wanted Al Gore to run for President again. When I finally woke up and realized he was not going to run, I waffled between John Edwards and Hillary Clinton, but eventually chose Hillary Clinton and have put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. So now, what is it I just don't get? Obamamania. The guy gives a good speech, but that's about it (at least, in my humble opinion ~ and after all it is my blog). I'll give it to you that he made a speech against the war. Okay, so what has he done since he's been in the Senate? He's voted to fund it every time. He says he is the agent of change and represents the new guard in Washington, yet he has surrounded himself with the likes of John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Patrick Leahy and Tom Daschle. Change?? Helloooo!

3. People got their panties in a wad over Jane Fonda using the "C**T" word on television.


Get a grip folks. If you live to be 70 years old and producers still think you are relevant and want you to perform "The Vagina Monologues" on stage (a really wonderful experience, by the way) and ask you to promote the 10th anniversary performance on television and you let the word slip out... so what! I'd rather listen to Jane Fonda talking about vaginas than Ann Coulter talking about anything!

4. When I go to a buffet and I see someone pile tons of food on their plate all at the same time. Chicken on top of lasagna on top of roast beef on top of mac & cheese on top of mashed potatoes on top of green beans, and on and on and on. Don't they know they don't have to take all of their food all at once, but they can just put three or four things on their plate and go back for more?

5. Have you seen that show, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman on the Travel Channel? I've seen about 15 minutes of one episode and I'm left with only one question. Why?

No comments: