Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Did I Mention I Haven't Been Running???

Well, I did this morning, but I changed training programs. I decided to use the Runner's World 8-Week Beginning Runner's Program.

I started out with the Couch-to-5K program. I like it and I did pretty well two years ago on the program, but it progresses too slowly for me. I feel capable of progressing a little faster. And, I'm impatient.

So, I started the Runner's World Program this morning. I drove down to the Tucker Creek Walking Park about 3 minutes from my house and, with timer in hand, I began Week Two (run 2 minutes/walk 1 minutes for 10 times). After the first 2 minutes, it became clear I was not in any shape for Week Two, so I cut back to Week One ( run 1 min/walk 2 min. for 10 times) and finished the first day's plan. Despite my minor little set-back, I enjoyed the workout. I was tired, sweating profusely, but I felt good.

I'm going to have to do something about the sweat, though. About half way through, I am really sweating. That part is okay. What is not okay is that it drips in my eyes and stings and I can't see. Using my shirt was my only alternative this morning, but I'm not particularly fond of lifting my shirt up and exposing my protruding, white belly to wipe my eyes. I'm 60, chunky and it's not pretty. I think I'll try a sweatband next time.

I haven't lost any more weight, but I haven't gained any either. That's a good thing. It would be better to have lost a pound, but I'll take staying the same over gaining back weight any day.

I have been looking for other beginning runner blogs to find some inspiration. So far I haven't been able to find any real beginners. I don't consider running 20 to 30 miles a week a real beginner and that seems to be the only thing out there. I want to relate to that... I really do, but I just don't. I'm not there yet.

No comments: