Saturday, May 26, 2007

I'm Baaaack...

And feeling good since I started to run again this morning. It was harder than I thought. I knew that I wouldn't be able to run the 4 or 5 minutes I had been before I got pneumonia, but I really didn't think it would be as hard as it was.

Tom and I went to a 1-1/4 mile trail about a mile from our house. He rode his bike (recovering from a badly broken leg) and I walked/ran. I carried my timer with me and started out with a warm up walk for 4 minutes, then began to run. I thought I would just see how long I could go. My legs didn't get tired. My lungs did. I ran 2 minutes the first time, then a 1 minute walk. I could tell it was going to be hard. After the third time, I had to walk 2 minutes to catch my breath. I started running again for 2 minutes, but increased my time between runs to 1-1/2 minutes. That helped until the last 8 minutes. I just couldn't run 2 minutes any longer so I changed and ran 1 minute and walked 1 minute, then walked to cool down for about 4 minutes for a total of 38 minutes.

Tom and I have also been on a low-carb diet for the last couple of weeks. I lost 6 pounds; Tom lost 3 pounds. I hate the diet. It really sucks! No fruit. No oatmeal. I am going back to low fat and portion control. I lose a lot slower, but I feel better and don't have cravings.

I think I really need to take control. Make changes. Be the change. As my grandson would say, "Be the water." I think it is the slogan for a skateboard company, but it makes sense to me.

No comments: