Friday, November 25, 2011

Weaving the Past to the Present

Spending the morning paying bills and catching up on business bookkeeping is not the most exciting I've ever done.

It was later this afternoon that I took the opportunity to catch up on my correspondence.

During the summer, when I was doing some genealogy research, I came across an obituary for my uncle (my father's younger brother). The last time I saw or spoke with my uncle and aunt, I was about 10 or 11 years old. My father and my uncle bought a pet shop together, but their working and personal relationship faltered and my uncle and aunt moved back to Minnesota. With a little more research, I found my aunt's current address and sent a card expressing my condolences. My aunt not only responded, but she called my other aunt (my dad's sister), who in turn also wrote me a letter. After all these years, neither harbors any ill-will and both seemed genuinely thrilled to reconnect.

Today, I finally sat down and responded to both of them.

I love catching up on the lives of people I'd thought I'd lost forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remarkable.