Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 10 - Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.

From Thirty Days of Truth

Again, another fairly easy question. The answer: No one.

I realize this may sound cold, but I don't keep people in my life that continually create drama, spew ugliness, treat me or other people with disrespect, always need something from me (money, a ride, attention, attention, attention) or generally make everyone else's life miserable because theirs is. I'm not patient with those sorts of people and as far as I am concerned they can take their drama, nastiness and misery elsewhere. I create enough drama in my life by myself for two people and a dog.

I would never reject or turn my back on a friend or family member who genuinely was going through a rough or grieving time in their life, even if it turns out to be more than one crisis or even several in a row. Shit happens in life and you can't control it.

I can tell when my friends or family are truly in need of support through a crisis, as opposed to someone who just wants to suck everyone around them dry because they refuse to help or nurture themselves, even when shown how. I have a problem with investing in relationships with people who refuse to help themselves. I don't have any problem telling someone like that to their face that I cannot help them any longer. Usually that's enough and they disappear, moving onto someone else who might be vulnerable and responsive, in the short term, to their needs. And, I have in the past, told at least two different people that I no longer wanted to have a relationship of any kind with them. Oh my God, they were so shocked!! I didn't feel guilty at all.

Didn't Hank Williams make a country song famous on the backs of people like me? "Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart."

My heart is melted and open...not stupid.

No comments: