Friday, September 3, 2010

Some Things Friday for September 3, 2010

The men from our utility company were here early this morning, probably anticipating the rain later this afternoon. I hope they finish today.

Dude (my dog, Joe, but I call him Dude because that's the only name he answers to ~ go figure) is curled up asleep next to me in Tom's desk chair. He sleeps all night long on his own towel at the end of our bed (thanks to the suggestion from my beloved cousin, Rickey, who provides a similar place for Kylie Marie, her long haired dachshund), but apparently 8 hours isn't enough. That in addition to the two hours he slept next to Tom as we watched tv last night, a sleep so deep that he began dreaming and started sort of barking under his breath in his sleep.

So, what are my Some Things for this Friday? Funny you should ask. Once again, answers are provided in a free from format.

  • I hate complaining about the weather, but it's like a drug or something. I just can't stop. It's at the point where Tom is now just making fun of me every time I say something weather related. Ridicule does not help.

I took a break here because I had written about seven more points and then, somehow...once again...I hit just the right combination of keys and deleted everything back up to my first point. I just got up and walked away from the computer, pissed off and grumbling, still not knowing which keys I hit that inadvertently deleted most of my post.

If ANYONE knows how to disable the keyboard shortcuts, please let me know!!!


Now back to your regular programming.


  • Don't you just hate it when you get a song in your head and you can't get out it? That's what happened to me last night. I woke up at about 2:30am. Had to go to the bathroom because I'm getting old and that's what old people do. When I tried to get back to sleep, I started singing the song in my head ~ "One less bell to answer. One less egg to fry. One less man to pick up after I should be happy But all I do is cry..." ~ and I couldn't stop. I tried thinking about something else, but when I stopped thinking about something else, the song would just creep back into my consciousness. I would finally fall back to sleep, but wake up a little later and that damn song would be going through my head! I did that about 6 or 7 times between 2:30 and 6:30 and I didn't think of it any more...until now that I have told you about it. Not so smart.

  • A few days ago, I heard a political pundit outline what he thought the Republicans should use for their campaign slogan: We suck, but the Democrats suck more!...Well...I thought it was funny.

  • When we used to live in San Jose, California, my girlfriend, Paula, and I would go to lunch at a small Mongolian restaurant in Los Gatos. We always ordered their Mongolian Beef Salad. I have tried ever since to duplicate that recipe for the Mongolian Beef and the dressing, but I've never been able to do it.

  • This whole keyboard-shortcuts-deleting-my-post thing and the noise from the utility workers in the backyard has given me a headache. And I have heartburn from the peanut butter sandwich I had for breakfast/lunch. I'm a mess.

  • In case you haven't heard, Paris Hilton was arrested in Las Vegas for cocaine possession. Apparently, the police found cocaine in her purse. Now, several days later, Paris is denying that purse was hers, even though her identification, cell phone, credit cards, cash and other personal items were in the purse as well. And, oh yeah, there's that other thing about her tweeting about her new Chanel purse and posting a photo of it on Twitter. Yep, same purse she was carrying when she was arrested. Perhaps the authorities will be generous enough to ship her back to Los Angeles and allow her to spend time in the same cell Lindsey Lohan vacated just a few short weeks ago.

  • This morning while reading The Huffington Post, a headline above a photo of a dark haired woman I did not recognize caught my eye: " PHOTOS: Samantha Cameron Steps Out With Baby Florence." My immediate thought was, Who the hell is Samantha Cameron? When I went to the story link and realized it was Britain's Prime Minister's wife, I felt a little silly. I clearly don't read enough world news.

  • Tomorrow Tom will start ripping out most of our completely unproductive garden. Yes, we got quite a few poblano peppers, which we roasted, peeled, seeded and put in the freezer. And, yes we got a handful of yellow and red cherry tomatoes. But mostly we got tomatillo skins sans fruit, two heirloom tomatoes rendered inedible with blossom end rot, and a mere three or four bell peppers from two plants. Pitiful to say the least. It's time to let them go. I've already started a new crop of basil, parsley and dill in my Aerogarden. By the time we get our first freeze, we should be ready to harvest the herbs from our indoor garden.

  • When Tom and I lived in Carlsbad, California and our sons were in high school, Tom auditioned and made the cast of a local production of the musical, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. He was cast as Lumberman #1. It was even a speaking part. We both love musicals, stage or screen, and this morning I came across this video called "Dancing at the Movies." Dance scenes from just about every musical imaginable are cut, compiled and set to the Kenny Loggins song, "Footloose" from the movie of the same name. Enjoy the video and have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend!




No comments: