Monday, August 3, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook for Monday, August 3, 2009



FOR TODAY...


Outside my window...the sun is shining, the birds are congregating around the bird feeder, the baby bunny is in the grass underneath it and mama bunny is over by the fence. It's a cool 72 degrees, but will be warm this afternoon.

Waiting…for the world to change. I know it won't happen. Remember when they asked Ronald Reagan why he changed political parties from Democrat to Republican. His answer, "I didn't change, they did." That's how I feel; like the world around me changed and I didn't. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Catching up on…laundry, bill paying and errands today.

I am thinking...about an article I read over the weekend about bullying. Very interesting stuff.

I am thankful for...my health. I am thinking about it particularly today because my youngest sister has recently been diagnosed with Lupus, in addition to another neurological disease, and is deteriorating rapidly. I have (had) four sisters. The other three have either passed away or are incapacitated in some way. One has passed from cancer. One is nearly bedridden from various afflictions. One has life-threatening heart disease and is being kept alive with medications. Me...well, I'm fat, but disease free.

From the kitchen...gosh, I have no idea yet this morning. I wish I could be like some of those other women and men out there in the blogosphere who post weekly and sometimes monthly menus. I used to do that, but now I just cook what sounds good for that night. Right now, nothing sounds good.

I am wearing... a salmon colored Margaritaville t-shirt and blue shorts. I'm barefoot.

I am creating... lists. We are leaving Friday for a few days and I have to have everything ready to go.

I am going... to run errands this afternoon.

I am reading...Julie & Julia by Julie Powell. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie.

I am hoping...I can get everything done by Friday.

I am remembering…a quote I read recently: People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty. ~ Richard J. Needham. The intention is not really to be honest, but to merely express anger and brutality and make the "target" person feel insignificant and de-valued. It has to do with that "bullying" article I read. Bullies are unhappy people who look for weakness in others and then attack, often times continuing long after the attack to provoke. This makes them feel powerful.

I am hearing...the hum of my computer and the lawn care guys mowing Mrs. Duke's lawn.

Around the house...vacuuming, the last of the laundry, dusting.

One of my favorite things... when Tom calls me and says, "I have to tell you what I just heard on NPR," after which a short discussion ensues.

A few plans for the rest of the week …getting ready to leave. We have rented a small travel trailer instead of staying in a hotel. The cost is less half of staying in a hotel and we enjoy the flexibility more.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...


These peppers are not from my garden. My garden is producing little more than a couple of grape tomatoes. Everyone already knows that. These peppers are from my son, Chris', garden, which is obviously growing significantly better than mine and he wanted to make sure I knew how well it was doing so he sent this photo to my cell phone and the message read, "Hot pepper anyone?". When I opened the message on my phone, I could have sworn I heard the faint call of a childish braggart: neener, neener, neener

To read more Daybook posts or learn how to participate, visit The Simple Woman’s Daybook


No comments: