Friday, July 31, 2009

Some Things Friday for July 31, 2009

I'm sitting here working on my second cup of coffee. Two skinny, heavily beard men are already up in my attic running a new gas line for the new 4-ton heat/air package unit that we are having installed when we return from another short vacation. Poop Dogg is out in the back of the yard hiding behind the berry bushes laying in the mud from yesterday's rain. She doesn't know it yet, but she's getting a good squirt with the hose and a quick towel dry before she returns to the inner sanctum of the living room.

The sun is out. It has stopped raining. Finally. I don't know for how long. May was the wettest ever recorded. July is now setting records. According to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, it's been the wettest July in 118 years, clocking in as of yesterday at 10.72 inches! Nearly everything in my vegetable and herb garden has died or become stunted. My heirloom tomato plant has had maybe two blossoms this entire season but has yet to set one fruit. But, it keeps bird bath full and the fish in the pond are happy!

Me...well, I'd rather it rain than have the temperatures head back up to the high 90's. The rain keeps it a little cooler, although much more humid. August and those high temps will come soon enough.

But, let's get to it shall we?

Some Things I Love:

1. A really good expert massage.

2. Walking with my iPod. I only hear the music and my own breathing. It's almost like a short vacation.

3. When the temperatures get cold and I put the down comforter on my bed and snuggle down underneath it.

4. Fresh baked cherry scones and a cup of coffee.

5. Getting a haircut.


Some Things I Hate:

1. For God sake, can we please stop talking about Gwyneth Paltrow's bowel cleansing (read: enema). TMI!!!

2. Falling asleep in the chair in the middle of a tv program I wanted to see.

3. Putting off getting a haircut even though my hair starts to drive me crazy.

4. Ironing. But I continue to buy clothes that need it. Go figure.

5. Traveling long distances by car.

Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Why dog owners can't pick up their own dogs' poop on our walking trails, but think they need a dog park, which would just become a dog poop landfill.

2. Why is it people who CANNOT sing LOVE karaoke?

3. Food eating contests and dipping hot dog buns in water to get them to go down your throat faster. {heave}

4. The new big thing ~ well actually, it been big for quite some time ~ is stainless steel appliances. I fell for it. I have them. I hate them. If I don't polish them almost every single day, they have spots and streaks all over them. You would think that people who bought them early on would have said something to those of us who were considering buying them. But, no, they kept that to themselves. Gee, thanks!

5. Why people think cheese dip is Mexican food.

That's it in a very large nutshell. I must move on to other posts, specifically one for each of my food blogs. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: