Thursday, June 11, 2009

There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women. ~ Madeleine K. Albright

First, an update to Tuesday's post. I'm just about done with my tantrum now, but I'm still going to Yellowstone. Tom has decided to adjust his work schedule and go with me. To do so, he's working through the weekend and we'll probably leave on Monday instead of Saturday. I'm glad he's going. I would have missed sharing this experience with him.

The topic of this post is not the update I just gave you. I am furious. I am sick. And I am sad. In the spirit of full disclosure:

  • I am a full-blown, bleeding heart Democrat, far more to the left of even our President. I will not take this opportunity to discuss the dark side of my party.

  • I believe in the rights and responsibilities given to us by the Constitution. By "Us" I mean EVERYONE...EQUALLY!

  • I think rules of discriminatory conduct should apply equally across the board and we should be outraged when those boundaries are crossed, regardless of whether we agree with victims beliefs or values.

  • I don't think I've ever watched one whole David Letterman program.

  • I don't agree with just about anything Sarah Palin says.


Are you guessing where I'm going with this?

I did not see the program in question, but read that David Letterman said Sarah Palin "bought makeup from Bloomingdale's to update her 'slutty flight attendant' look," and later decided to demean Palin's daughter by commenting, "One awkward moment for Sarah Palin at the Yankee game, during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."

Where are the women, the feminists? Letterman's comments weren't just in bad taste. They were sexist and misogynistic! But I do not hear voices of outrage! Is there ever a time when sexism isn't sexism? Why were these "jokes" about Palin and her daughter okay?

As I listened to Contessa Brewer on MSNBC yesterday, I was stunned. She was interviewing some radio host (I don't remember who) and he asked Brewer is she had been the butt of a sexist joke like that and her response was, "I have and I'm fine."

I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. Those words just resonate in my head and it makes me sad. We, as women, have not come as far as we think we have if we accept this discrimination as part of our existence and end the day with "I'm fine."

I want to be more than "fine." I don't want to victimized by those who feel superior. I want to be equal. I want EVERY woman to be equal.

And to those of you who actually thought Letterman's jokes were funny. What if he had made the same jokes about Michelle Obama and one of her daughters. Or Laura Bush and one of her daughters. Or Hillary Clinton and one of her daughters....oh wait, David Schuster already did something similar to that, but at the end of the day she's probably just "fine."

No comments: