Monday, April 13, 2009

The only pressure I'm under is the pressure I've put on myself. ~ Mark Messier

I'm tired this morning. I'm so tired that I had to go back and correct the word "tired" three times because I spelled it wrong.

Laying in bed last night after everyone had left, I told Tom I didn't think I wanted to do another holiday dinner. He said, "You just don't want to do another holiday dinner like you always do." He's right. I always over-do. Three appetizers, main course with at least two side dishes and great dessert. We filled and ran the dishwasher THREE times yesterday, plus I washed countless pots and pans. I'm craving simple. Something like an antipasto tray, then spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread. Simple, filling, delicious...and I actually get to sit down and visit.

I had so much to do for our Easter dinner yesterday that I cooked and prepped all day Saturday and Sunday. I had to make a list for myself of everything I had to do each day and when it came down to putting everything on the table, I forgot the dinner rolls that I had slipped into the oven to warm up about 20 minutes before we sat down for dinner. Tom discovered them when he started picking everything up after we had finished dessert. I had turned both ovens off and walked away, not even remembering that a dozen rolls were warming. When it was all said and done, we sent food home with Tom's parents and we still have two refrigerators full of leftovers.

I think the next meal I serve to guests will be a KISS meal...Keep It Simple Stupid!



FOR TODAY APRIL 13, 2009...


Outside my window...It's cloudy and cool. It poured rain yesterday and the temperature didn't get above 55 degrees. Today maybe it will reach 63 degrees.

Waiting…for the weather to warm up and stay that way.

Catching up on…everything I let slide while I prepared for Easter dinner.

I am thinking...I really need to accomplish something in this house besides vacuuming and dusting. I need to get back to painting walls and trim.

I am thankful for...the prayer stone Tammy gave out to everyone as we left church yesterday. I'm going to put mine on the kitchen window sill where I know I will see it many times during the day. Sometimes I just need a tangible reminder to take a moment; take a deep breath and just be silent, still and grateful.

From the kitchen...leftovers. I need to go out this morning and find a manual meat grinder (Target? WalMart?). We have a lot of lamb leftover from dinner yesterday and Chris suggested I grind it up and make gyros for dinner. Great idea!

I am wearing... old fashioned ugly ole sweats and slippers! The kind of thing I put on when I'm feeling incredibly lazy and unmotivated.

I am creating... not much at the moment.

I am reading...still working on Every Day Sacred.

I am hoping...to go to Reno this summer to go to Zak's graduation.

I am remembering…two birthdays this month and three more next month! Whew!

I am hearing...the birds singing outside.

Around the house...is the wonderful early morning quiet!

One of my favorite things... is this time of day. I am definitely a morning person.

A few plans for the rest of the week …I would really like to buy some really good paint to paint my Adirondack chairs.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing... I am sooooo ready...



To read more Daybook posts or learn how to participate, visit The Simple Woman’s Daybook

No comments: