Monday, January 5, 2009

"Our grandchildren accept us for ourselves, without rebuke or effort to change us..."

..."as no one in our entire lives has ever done, not our parents, siblings, spouses, friends - and hardly ever our own grown children." ~ Ruth Goode


So for lack of anything else special to write, I give you my Occasional Daybook…

FOR TODAY, JANUARY 5, 2009...

Outside my window...it's cold and raining, with occasional sleet. A far cry from the 78 degrees we enjoyed Saturday. On our way home from dining out, we put the top down on the convertible. It felt like spring. Apparently, spring-like weather was short-lived. Currently it is 31 degrees outside.

Waiting…for spring, obviously.

Catching up on…paying bills and blogging, especially my food blog, Terri's Table, which I have seriously neglected.

I am thinking...that I will never figure out how to resolve some issues in my life and that those issues require more than my energy and my input to resolve them. I am beginning to think that perhaps some of those things are just unresolvable and maybe I should just give up on my end. Right now, it seems as though when there is one step of movement forward, I can expect 12 steps backward. Completely unproductive.

I am thankful for...having everything I need at this very moment. My house is warm and well-lit, I have food on the table, gas in my car, a little money in the bank and I'm starting a new job tomorrow. Some people are not so lucky.

From the kitchen...tonight's dinner is butternut squash soup and grilled portabella mushroom sandwiches.

I am wearing...warm clothes; long sleeve t-shirt, sweat shirt, Nike cold-weather running pants and Ugg-style boots.

I am creating...very little at the moment.

I am going...to stay home today and get caught up on office tasks.

I am reading...or rather finishing up "Letter to My Daughter" by Maya Angelou. Then I will start "Multiple Bles8ings" by Jon & Kate Gosselin, a book I received as a Christmas gift.

I am hoping...I enjoy my new job.

I am remembering…what summer was like when it was hot outside and I was wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops...(sigh).

I am hearing...my sister, Karen, in the next room talking to her dog and cat. They are not answering.

Around the house...the floors are vacuumed and the furniture is dusted (thank you, Tom) and I can devote my time to other things...like laundry.

One of my favorite things...is counted cross-stitch. My sister-in-law, Carol, taught me years ago and I fell in love with it. In a couple of weeks, our small church is hosting Women's Day Out and we will meet at the church and complete some of the cross-stitch ornaments that were never finished and do some crafty stuff to prepare for next year's Christmas season.

Recently…I have been a little melancholy, which sometimes turns into biting sarcasm in order to hide the weepy side. Hey, you gotta have some defenses.

A few plans for the near future…start back to work on remodeling our house. I think Tom will start demolition on the laundry room in a couple of weeks. I will have to take before and after photos.

Plans to focus on…just trying to keep things simple and uncomplicated.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...



Based loosely on the The Simple Woman’s Daybook


No comments: