Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year. ~P. Sweeney

It is hard to believe that in just a little over a month from now, on October 19th, Tom and I will be married 40 years. And, in only 10 more years we will be married 50 years. I've spent twice as long with Tom as I did living with my parents.

I have fond memories of my in-laws 40th anniversary party in Escondido. It was a big family get together at the clubhouse at their condominium complex. Family came from all over California and from the East coast to celebrate. Tom and I were a much younger couple, working hard and raising teenage boys.

Less than a year after my in-laws 40th anniversary party, Tom and I gave my parents a big "luau" party for their 40th anniversary, complete with Hawaiian dancers. My nephew and niece, Jon and Kris, helped me stuff cherry tomatoes and arrange the trays of food. We had as much fun preparing the party as our guests did enjoying the party. Somewhere in a box I have photos of my dad and brother-in-law, Dave, dancing with the "hula girls." It was simply hilarious. Sadly, my dad died before he and my mom could celebrate their 50th.

Now it's our turn. I can hardly believe it. The years have gone by so fast, it makes me want to rewind just a couple so I can experience again those moments I didn't fully appreciate. It serves as a reminder that there isn't a rewind button and each moment should be lived and appreciated for what it is.

How will we celebrate? I have no idea yet. Probably quietly, like we've done with all our others.

No comments: