Saturday, June 14, 2008

You say it's your birthday, It's my birthday too, yeah,They say it's your birthday, We're gonna have a good time! ~ The Beatles

Yes, today is my 62nd birthday. Sixty two years old. Where did all those years go?

And, this week I heard or read somewhere that the new average life expectancy is 78 years old.

And, yesterday Tim Russert of NBC news, died suddenly at the age of 58.

And, night before last Tom and I watched "The Bucket List."

And, my sister and brother-in-law succumbed to cancer in April and March, respectively.

Is it any wonder I've been just a little depressed this week? If I am only expected to live until I am about 78, then I only have about 16 more years left. Jesus, how did that happen?? Where, indeed, did all those years go?? And, what does Tim Russert's passing have to do with me? Nothing really, except that it made me acutely aware that nothing is for sure, not even those 16 years. And, what about "The Bucket List"? How do I want to spend the rest of my life? The differences in the two male characters was striking. After checking off most of the items on his list, ultimately Morgan Freeman's character spent his final days surrounded by the family that he loved so dearly. Jack Nicholson's character spent his time making amends. And, finally, my sister's death. All I can think of is, time wasted; not hers... mine. Time wasted not reaching out. Time wasted waiting for her reach out first. Time wasted because I didn't want family drama back in my life. Sadly, it took her death for me to realize that, by their very nature, that's what families are: drama, mixed with compassion, patience, tolerance and love. So, I continue to ask myself, Okay, Terri, what do you want? Where do you want to go from here? How are you going to approach the rest of your life? Well, today I can only say specifically that I don't want to waste it.

Whew. This is just too heavy for a birthday celebration.

So, what did I do this morning? I finished my last day of Week Two of the Couch-to-5K program. Monday I start Week Three ~ I think. I'm a little worried about the jump from running for 1-1/2 minutes to running 3 minutes. I am hoping I will be rested enough by Monday to accomplish it.

I know this is stupid, but every time I have to push through something physical, I think of Yoda. "Do or do not. There is no try." I can't believe I'm finding inspiration in a short, big bat-eared, green, computer generated fictional movie character. It makes me wonder if senility is setting in.

No comments: