Friday, June 20, 2008

Some Things Friday for June 20, 2008

I'm not going to do Some Things Friday every Friday anymore. So sue me. It's becoming more difficult to come up with a list of 5 things I hate. Even today, I feel incredibly distracted. And, it takes time to write this huge list and I have a million things to do...alright, maybe not a million; that could be overstating it... but I have a lot to do.

If you have noticed on my sidebar, I decided to ratchet down my Couch-2-5K workout to the "recommended dosage" of three times a week with a rest day in between for recovery. I was doing fine everyday until I hit the three minute run. Yes, recovery time is imperative ~ even for those of us who see our possibilities as capabilities.

So far this week, I've run on Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday was, to put it mildly, a bitch. Thursday was better. This weeks podcast seemed a little shorter than usual, so at the end I added another 90 second run. That worked out well and I am actually looking forward to tomorrow's run.

For the yoga, I've downloaded some podcasts on iTunes for that, too. We are just moving right along.

Speaking of moving along...

Some Things I Love:

1. Goldie spent three days at the vet's office for her second heartworm treatment and she has a few hot spots, but she is doing very well; still very shy and timid, but coming out of her shell little by little. She has one more treatment left in three more weeks, then we can have her spayed.

2. We are just eleven short days from the Powers Family Reunion. Each family group is hosting and preparing a meal for the rest of the family. Our night is Friday and Chris will make his awesome ribs (honestly, the best I've ever eaten) and Kelly and I will make the sides and I will make my Oreo Crunch Brownies. Two of my sisters-in-law, Christina and Mary, are doing the meal for Thursday night. You can tell that my mother-in-law is excited. She's actually going to bake... she will be making her Angel Food cake.

3. Unbelievable as it may seem, Hewlett Packard is going to locate a state-of-the-art customer service and technical support center right here in Conway freakin' Arkansas. Apparently someone on their management team seemed to think we are not all rednecks and hillbillies and our part of the country might actually provide enough qualified people to fill about 1,200 new jobs. Well, Yee Haw!!

4. I got tickets for the 2008-2009 season at the Orpheum Theater in Memphis, about a 2-1/2 hour drive from here. The season starts with Avenue Q in October, finishes with Wicked next summer and Legally Blond, The Color Purple, Fiddler on the Roof and more are in between. We were lucky. There weren't any season tickets available when they first announced the season, so I put my name on the waiting list. When a few subscribers failed to renew, I got the opportunity to buy two awesome seats in the 14th row, center, orchestra. I can hardly wait.

5. I am sitting here listening to the CD, "Herbie Hancock:Possibilities." I happened to catch the documentary of the making of this CD and had to have it. I love Herbie Hancock and I love everyone he collaborated with on this CD: John Mayer, Santana, Annie Lennox, Jonny Lang, Joss Stone and many others. I just love this CD.

Some Things I Hate:

1. More rain expected today and tomorrow morning. We don't need it here and they certainly don't need it in the mid-section of our country.

2. Television during the summer. Boring!

3. Insomnia !!! After not sleeping well for three nights, I was in bed by 9:00 PM last night. Instead of tossing and turning and trying to find a comfortable position, I want to be able to sleep like this little girl... soundly, anytime, anywhere !!



4. I hate that political pundits and news anchors are still fervently denying any sexism in the media, starting with Hillary Clinton. They are so completely defensive and oblivious to their own misogynistic rhetoric. Well, folks, it continues even without Hillary's presence in the campaign. MSNBC had to pull an "inappropriate" ad for Michelle Obama's upcoming appearance on Hardball which depicts in the background behind Chris Matthews silhouetted female dancers in various dressed images. You can see the ad here at the Huffington Post if you like. It looks more like an ad for the 1970's tv program, Charlie's Angels. And we all know how blatantly sexist that program was.

5. I have to believe in Karma if I am to survive the Bush-Cheney administration. I think this man is probably the most dangerous and evil man on the planet.



And, according to The Hill, he has apparently "won his battle to withhold records from the public despite efforts by Congress and other critics who say they should be open to scrutiny."

I may never stop throwing up.


Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Get Smart, the movie. The series wasn't even funny back in the day.

2. And, I won't be seeing "The Love Guru" either. I think Mike Meyers should stick with Shrek. Just sayin'...

3. Apparently, a 52 year old Los Angeles woman, Macrida Patterson is suing lingerie-maker Victoria's Secret, claiming she was injured by one of the company's defective thongs. Now, back in the day, thongs were those things you wore on your feet. Now they are the things some women ~ not me, but some women ~ barely wear between their butt-cheeks. Anyway, Ms. Patterson says she was attempting to try on the thong when a decorative metallic piece flew off the garment and struck her in the eye. She claims that Victoria's Secret is at fault for the injury she received because the product was "defective." In a related matter, Ms. Patterson's husband has filed an injunction to keep her from wearing thong underwear at her age.

4. Alright, I know I'm old. You can call me an old fogie, ancient, out of touch, old fashioned, I don't care. I cannot wrap my head around these...



According to their creator, these are "extremely funny, completely soft, fully functional high-heel crib shoes for babies." The lead-in to the story asks, "Does This Novelty Gift Cry JonBenet or Miss Piggy?" JonBenet??? Oooooooh, sorry not funny. And, for the record, I think these are completely stupid. In my own humble opinion, of course.

5. Why do people care if David Beckham's image was "enhanced" for the new Armani advertisement photo? This is the photo that has caused the controversy:



MSNBC provides links to this photo of Beckham...



and makes the point that "The surfside shot [my emphasis], taken in 2006, features the L.A. Galaxy player in a white bikini with one notable difference from the Armani pics — the fabric appears less, um, inflated."

Well, perhaps in this photo the ole Beck-meister just came out of the COLD surf. Ba dum dum...

No comments: