Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jogging is very beneficial. It's good for your legs and your feet. It's also very good for the ground. It makes it feel needed. ~ Charles Schulz

I think I've tried just about everything to keep from doing the Couch-2-5K program. I have countless DVD's. Some of them are for step-aerobics, some are for weight training. My newest is Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. I tried it for the first time yesterday and I liked it, but my shoulder (rotator cuff problem) can't take it. I don't have full range of motion and it's just too painful. So, I'm back to the Couch-2-5K today.

This morning I did okay. Okay, that is, for being 61 years old (62 in 11 days), very overweight and completely out of shape. So, I am repeating the first week AGAIN because I only did it twice last week and I don't feel like I am ready to move on to the second week yet. Today I did each running interval, but the last two were the hardest. Now I am sitting here dripping sweat ~ oh, sorry... perspiring ~ all over my laptop, trying to cool down so I can take a shower.

As I've explained before, the Couch-2-5K program starts with eight 60-second running intervals the first week and graduates to running 30 minutes straight the ninth week. In the past, I've worked up to completing the third week before something happens and I have to start all over again. But, I keep going back to it. I like being outside and the trail I use is an asphalt one that runs along a creek and is less than a mile from my house.

Christmas before last, Tom gave me an iPod shuffle. I love it, but I mostly use it for running. I used to have to carry a timer when I ran, but I found podcasts specifically designed for this program. As a beginner, I like Robert Ullrey's podcasts for the Couch-2-5K. He keeps the timing for you and his cues are perfect. There's no guessing how many seconds I've run or walked. I have also downloaded Podrunner Intervals. Rather than verbal cues, they use a specific sound cue and change music tempo. The music for these podcasts is a little faster, so they are a little too challenging for me right now.

I also found a C25K website with all kinds of links to other podcasts, C25K gear, running tools, running training programs, running forums, etc.

Alright, so once again I have publicly committed myself to this program and will again be publicly humiliated if I stop. I think there is a definite masochistic trait to my personality.

No comments: