Friday, April 11, 2008

Some Things Friday for April 11, 2008

I wrote this list last week before I left for Las Vegas after I learned that my sister, Kim, was in ICU.

Since many of you have been following the saga that is my life and that of my family, I think I only need to briefly recapitulate.

My brother-in-law died 2 weeks ago and I drove to Las Vegas, Nevada for the memorial service... 2 days driving there, 2 days driving back...to spend 2-1/2 days with my sister, his widow.

His widow, my sister is also battling cancer. When I say battling, that is what I mean. You know those movies where thousands of big, ugly, angry, killing, blood-thirsty monsters are trying to get the good guy. That is what is happening to my sister inside that tiny body. Every time I think of her, it brings tears to my eyes. I fear she is losing the battle.

So, now every time I think about complaining about something in my life, I think, "Oh, Shut Up!" But, since I have made the commitment to Hate at least 5 things every Friday, here goes...

Some Things I Love:

1. I loved being able to reconnect in person with my nephew, J, and meet his wife, Brooke. We talked about the war, politics and installing screen doors. Both had challenges growing up, but they've matured into warm, loving, insightful people. I admire them.

2. In two weeks, Goldie is going to become a part of our family.



3. My neighbor across the street was cleaning out her garden and dividing plants over the weekend. She gave me some daisies and daffodils to plant along my fence. When it finally stops raining for a day or two, I will plant them. I love flowers.

4. I just got tickets for "An Evening with Maya Angelou" in May. I will take plenty of kleenex, since her poetry and essays reduce me to a weeping fool.

5. Coming home from a trip.

Some Things I Hate:

1. Okay, after two weeks without writing and bitching about politics, here I go again. I am so glad, happy and thrilled [read: lots of dripping sarcasm] that Barack Obama is NOT playing the race card in his campaign! Oh, what was that?? Did I read what??? The article in the Tartan, the Carnegie Mellon University student newspaper, about Michelle Obama's campaign rally at the school gym. The one where "some students at the event questioned the practices of Mrs. Obama’s event coordinators, who handpicked the crowd sitting behind Mrs. Obama. The Tartan’s correspondents observed one event coordinator say to another, “Get me more white people, we need more white people.” To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, “We’re moving you, sorry. It’s going to look so pretty, though.” [Emphasis mine]

“I didn’t know they would say, ‘We need a white person here,’ ” said attendee and senior psychology major Shayna Watson, who sat in the crowd behind Mrs. Obama. “I understood they would want a show of diversity, but to pick up people and to reseat them, I didn’t know it would be so outright.”
But, no, they don't play the race card.

2. Over 400 children were removed from the Yearning for Zion Ranch in El Dorado, Texas. The mainstream media is reporting that this ranch is home to the members of a religion called Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This is a religion?? No, it's pedophilia!

3. I was glad to get home after such a long trip to and from Las Vegas. I knew Tom had been sick, but he was on the road to health when I got home last Saturday evening. But, he hadn't fully recovered. He took Nyquil at bedtime and snored himself into slumber! Grrrrr. I wanted to lay close to him and smack him at the same time!

4. It continues to rain here in Arkansas. Lakes and rivers are flooded and the news stations flash flood warnings and watches across the television screen daily. Those of us who lease slips at a marina on Greers Ferry lake cannot get to the docks without another boat because the gangway to the dock is under water. It is supposed to rain more today, but then nothing until next Wednesday. We need to dry out some.

5. Yesterday the high was 77 degrees, although it rained most of the afternoon. Just in time for the weekend, when I was really, really, really looking forward to our first crawfish boil of the season ~ which, to be enjoyed as God intended, absolutely MUST be cooked and eaten outside in a warm climate ~ the temperatures this weekend will drop to a high somewhere in the very low 60's. By the time the weather cooperates, crawfish season is going to be over!


Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. How many American women must be raped while serving in Iraq before someone takes notice and ACTION!

2. Why fanatical male sports fans have to go to their favorite sporting event sans shirts. I'm not sure what it says about them, but I don't think it could be good.

3. Why employers allow their employees to answer and make personal calls on their cell phones during work hours. Last week, I went into the restaurant/bar on the first floor of my hotel in Las Vegas. The server/bartender was attempting to take and serve orders while talking on her cell phone to her friend about some incident that happened during the day. She'd stand next to the table, talking all the while, then would say, "hold on a sec," and proceed to ask "did you need something?" Excuse me, but did I need something? Yes, in fact, I do. I need you to be less rude.

4. Did you see the video of the teenage girls beating the hell out of the cheerleader? I won't show it here because apparently that is exactly what they wanted...to be famous (or infamous) for something. So they thought the shortest route to this fantasy destination called fame was to videotape the beating and post it on YouTube. Can someone please explain to me what is going on with our kids? They are killing each other; they are beating each other; they are bullying each other. Honestly, deep in my soul I do not understand.

5. Why some folks will visit a blog several times a day. What exactly are they looking for?

No comments: