Friday, March 28, 2008

Some Things Friday for March 28, 2008

Very sad news. My brother-in-law has lost his struggle with pancreatic cancer and passed away yesterday. If you are a religious person, please pray for him and his family at this very, very difficult time. If you are not a religious person, please send comforting thoughts.

Most of what is to follow, I have written during the week.

Some Things I Love:

1. My garden, weeded (thank you, honey!)

2. Watching CBS Sunday Morning with a great cup of coffee or two, then going out to breakfast at IHOP.

3. New flip-flops.

4. A good massage.

5. Reading a good book.

Some Things I Hate:

1. My hair. I couldn't get past the stage. I didn't cut it all off, but I did give myself a trim. It's about the hair-over-the-ears thing.

2. Mud dauber wasps. In the spring and summer you find their muddy little nests everywhere.

3. When people tell me that "the sun" isn't good for me, like I haven't seen all the sun block products at WalMart or Walgreens, like I haven't seen the commercials on television talking about sun damage or cancer, like every person on the beach hasn't offered me their sun block! They even have a freaking "Stay Out of the Sun Day" ~ July 3rd. I've been a sun worshiper since I was old enough to play outside and I'm not going to change. I will continue to carry my beach chair down to the beach, sit in the sun and play in the water. Sitting in a hammock in the shade in the middle of the day is not for me.

4. The high price of our gasoline while oil companies are making the biggest profits ever!

5. Having to work inside when it's sunny and warm outside.


Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Amanda Rouse, a 15-year-old high school student in Seaside, California, wasn't feeling well, but rather than go to the nurse's office, she asked the elementary school bus driver if she could ride the bus home. Enroute, the bus driver fell out of her seat and bumped her head. Amanda jumped to the rescue, put on the brake, but could not avoid hitting two parked cars. All 40 elementary school children, however, were unharmed. Now Amanda must serve detention for skipping classes. DETENTION!! What are the school administrators thinking? Hmmmmm, girl saves 40 kids, a bus driver, herself while on her way home from school because she was sick AND school administrators are going to punish her for being a school "slacker." They call it zero tolerance. I call it just plain stupid.

2. Where has Barack Obama been? I guess he didn't think we needed a "frank talk" about race when the Duke rape case exploded. And he didn't think we needed a "frank talk" about race when Jena, Louisiana high school students hung a noose from a tree. And where was that "frank talk" about race when Katrina left tens of thousands of New Orleans residents homeless. But when his pastor made the news, Obama thought it was about time we had a "frank talk" about race. I would like for anyone to explain Obama's timing. I would like for anyone to explain why, for a year, Obama continually told the media and us that he was never present and never heard Pastor Wright give anti-white, anti-Jew, or anti-Israel sermons, but during his "frank talk" about race last Tuesday Obama said, “Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes.” It seems Mr. Obama only cares to have a "frank talk" about race when it is politically convenient for him.

3. And to continue on the Obama theme:

As of Thursday morning, this piece of "Obama Miracle Toast" was being sold on ebay, with a high bid of $330. Of course, as a Hillary Clinton supporter, the obvious wise crack comes to mind, but I refrain from stating the obvious and merely shake my head.

4. I know we are in the middle of a historically significant Democratic campaign. I know that questions are pointed and lines are drawn. I know that Chelsea Clinton is an adult. I also know that some people just have to dig for the dirtiest of details. But, I would like to know what kind of snarky ass would have to balls to ask a daughter (or son, for that matter) about her father's (or mother's) sexual indiscretions, particularly when the said indiscretions are not that of the candidate and are not pertinent to the candidate's qualifications or credentials. If snarky ass wants to know the details, snarky ass needs to ask the sexual indiscretioner (I don't think that is a word, but you get my point). If the sexual indiscretioner refuses to answer the question, then snarky ass should back off on the sleaze question and ask a question that is actually pertinent to the candidate's credentials. Even more ridiculous is that the snarky ass had the audacity to say Chelsea was rude TO HIM!

5. March Madness. The whole thing completely escapes me.

No comments: