Friday, February 8, 2008

Some Things Friday for February 8, 2008

We've had some warmer days this week ~ a couple in the 70's. But, it is back to being cold, which means lows in the high 20's and highs in the low 50's. I know. All of you on the west coast are thinking Brrrr, I'm glad I'm not there and those of you in east are thinking Stop whining, weenie. I'm not about to stop whining. It's what I live for. I have a sister-in-law who told me once, "You don't suffer well." She was so right.

Some Things I Love:

1. I cannot remember how I found this website, but Mike and Chris will totally understand why I love this photo.



2. This Apple commercial.



3. I've been contemplating getting (and, I'll admit - looking for) another dog and then I came across this photo.



He looks just like our dog, Gizmo, that died in 1992. I'm leaning....

4. A company is now marketing a new lip gloss that helps you lose weight. The lip gloss is called Fuze Slenderize Guilt Free...



With my luck, I'd wind up with skinny lips and still have a fat ass!

5. A miracle. This 11 month old baby was found alive face down in the mud in the rubble 300 feet from where his home was destroyed by a tornado...





Some Things I Hate:

1. Tornadoes. My heart goes out to all the people here in Arkansas and the other states who have dealt with the devastation brought by all the tornadoes this week.

2. Here it comes, folks, whether you like it or not; whether you believe it or not. We are headed for another recession. Remember in the late 80's when we 15% interest on home mortgages and 20% for car loans? Those were the good old Reagan years!

3. David Shuster of MSNBC (part of the mainstream media that I love Photobucket) provided us with an Imus moment, when he characterized Chelsea Clinton as being hustled by her mother's campaign. Speaking with Democratic pundit, Bill Press, he said, "Bill, there's just something a little bit unseemly to me that Chelsea's out there calling up celebrities, saying support my mom, and she's apparently also calling these super delegates. [snip] ...doesn't it seem like Chelsea's sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way?" Disgusting and blatant sexism and misogyny. Chelsea Clinton is a successful 28-year old woman who has made a choice to campaign for her mother to be the first woman president of the United States. She is not turning tricks for her. What a complete Neanderthal.

4. Is this something I hate? Or is this something I just don't get? A little of both. A mother wanting to teach her child a lesson, had him stand out on the street holding up this sign because he was acting up in class.



Don't misunderstand, I think this mother loves her child and wants very much to raise him to be a good man. And, I am not opposed to taking a child back to the classroom to apologize to the teacher and the class. But this? Humiliation breeds hatred. In my opinion.

5. It appears that the obsession with skinny that has plagued our women and young girls has finally rubbed off on our men and boys, as well. Meet the new male runway silhouette...



Sorry, but I'd rather have a guy with man-boobs.


Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Did you hear? The Spice Girls have canceled the rest of their world tour! Has it been 15 minutes already?? My, how time flies...

2. Amy Winehouse, the singer who was to perform at the Grammys, was denied a visa to the United States because of her past drug use, which of course makes her a threat to our national security. Yeah, let's see, Amy Winehouse vs. Osama Bin Ladin, Amy ~ Osama. Rehab resident ~ Terrorist who killed thousands of Americans. Sure, same thing.

3. According to an article in Newsweek, there are five painful places to get a tattoo. The rib cage ~ my son, Chris, would concur with that one; the top of the foot or ankle ~ I have one that starts at the ankle ~ ouch!; behind the ear ~ no thank you; mons pubis ~ Two words: Like Hell!; and the eyeball ~ Sure thing. I think I'll just stick a hot poker in my eye!

4. A traffic judge has apologized to Edward Stanley Harris, who has been hounded for 17 years by officials for his twin brother, Edwin Shelby Harris', unpaid tickets to the tune of $1,800. It took them 17 years to resolve the confusion! Our justice system at its best!

5. According to an article in the Knox County (Maine) Times, Camden-Rockport Middle School eighth grade boys will now serve detention for "intentionally farting." Quoting the Fire Cracker school newsletter, "Strange, but true, thanks to a bunch of 8th grade boys, intentional farting has been banned from CRMS," the newsletter said. "It started out as a funny joke and eventually turned into a game. This is the first rule at CRMS that prevents the use of natural bodily functions. The penalty for intentional farting is a detention, so keep it to yourself!" I laughed so hard when I read this article, I unintentionally farted!

No comments: