Friday, January 11, 2008

Some Things Friday for January 11, 2008

As I write this I am listening to NPR. They are still talking about the Hillary moment. I cannot believe what it is boiling down to is "genuine" versus "staged." It makes me nuts!

So, what kind of week has it been? The weather has been just as nuts as the politics. Laundry is overwhelming. But, I have been walking and Tom has decided to join me. We are once again doing the Couch-to-5K program program on CoolRunning.com. I'm so glad Tom and I are doing this together. He is very self-disciplined and motivating. We are only walking this week; no running yet. But Saturday, weather permitting, we will start the one minute run intervals. You can see this week's schedule on the sidebar. The walk has been good, although the first day I had a lot of discomfort in the sides of my ankles. The second day I decided to use the inserts I received from the orthopedic surgeon after I tore the ligaments in my right foot over a year ago. They helped considerably. So on we go...

Some Things I Love:

1. Grey's Anatomy. I love that show. I think creator and writer Shonda Rhimes is brilliant. The actors and the characters they have created are terrific.





During last night's episode, I laughed and I cried. And I can't wait to do it again next week!

2. We got awesome tickets for the Van Halen concert on January 30th!

3. Memories. This morning, while writing for my food blog, Terri's Table, I was remembering my Shih Tzu, Gizmo. He was such a cute dog. Our veterinarian used to call him "Mr. Sunshine." If a dog could actually exude happiness, he did. I have so many funny memories of him.

4. We heard from our realtor recently and there has been some interest in the house we bought to flip. Nothing in writing yet, but, still, that's very good news.

5. The remodel of our house is continuing. This weekend, Tom will set more tile in the dining room. Next week, I get back to painting.

Some Things I Hate:

1. Every time the Bush administration responds to any request by stating, in essence, "those rules don't apply to us." What is Nancy Pelosi waiting for? Impeach the bastards!

2. This photo of Britt Eckland (remember her from the movies?). It is not the photo that I hate. What I object to is the caption:




"Ex Bond Girl Reveals Startling New Look"

Britt had a little plastic surgery, but "startling"? The woman is 65 years old. How is she supposed to look? Personally, I think she looks damn good!

3. I hate not being able to make up my mind about a Presidential candidate. I wanted Al Gore to run. I wanted that really bad and I was sure he would jump into the race sometime in December and save the day! But he didn't and now I have to choose. I read a title for a blog I read this morning: "Sitting On the Fence Is Creasing My Activist Butt." Perfect description! I'll keep you posted.

4. Okay, I am about to insult a significant percentage of the voting public, but I cannot stand Ron Paul's obnoxious supporters. They are every where, posting how this wack-job is going to save the world. They remind me of the Ross Perot supporters! Remember him? Ross Perot was a wack-job, too.

5. Did you hear that Paula Abdul is in talks with the powers-that-be to perform at this year's Super Bowl. I really don't care because I don't watch the Super Bowl and generally don't watch the half-time show. I only hope that the children who will be watching it won't have to see her stumbling across the stage and slurring her words!

Some Things I Just Don't Get:

1. Like I said earlier, I haven't made up my mind which Presidential candidate I will support, so I am evaluating the top three candidates. Now, Obama continually states he is against the War in Iraq, but when he was asked by the New York Times in July 2004 how he would have voted in 2002, he said, "What would I have done? I don't know." So, what does he mean by, "I don't know? Isn't that somewhat of a contradiction? Now, fast forward to 2006 when he told the New Yorker that senators who saw intelligence reports on Iraq may have been justified in voting for the invasion. "I didn't have the benefit of U.S. intelligence," he said. "And, for those who did, it might have led to a different set of choices." I think he needs to get his anti-war rhetoric straight.

2. Calls for Mike Bloomberg to run for President. What experience does he have to offer, for Chrissake? He’s been a businessman and philanthropist most of his adult life and he been a mayor since 2001. Where are the qualifications?

3. Why would a parent use gobs of makeup to paint up these little girls' faces like that and then take them out in public? What is she thinking? That it is cute? No it's not, it's disgusting and inappropriate (of course, in my humble opinion).






4. Madonna drinks "Kabbalah Water." What the holy hell is Kabbalah Water?", you ask. That is the same question I asked myself when I read the article. Well, according to KabbalahWater.com, there is scientific evidence that "the Kabbalistic blessings and meditations that are used to create Kabbalah Water, for example, bring about elegant and balanced crystalline structures in water, while negative consciousness has an opposite effect." Radar states that Madonna reportedly spends $10,000 a month on "Kabbalah Water." I have to say, I am continually shocked by the pomposity and arrogance of people who have more money than they know what to do with.

5. I don't get our fascination with watching celebrities cope with their demons and spiral into personal crises. Britney into drugs, alcohol and losing her children; Amy Winehouse into drug addiction; David Hasselhof into alcoholism; Paula Abdul into whatever she is ingesting. I know, I know, I even made a comment about Abdul earlier. What is it with us? Do we watch because the media reports it or does the media report it because we want to watch? Does it make us feel better about ourselves in comparison? Do we somehow feel better about ourselves and our lives if we watch someone richer, more beautiful, more famous fall down? Whatever it is, we have a problem.

No comments: