Monday, December 10, 2007

It doesn't work to leap a twenty-foot chasm in two ten-foot jumps - American Proverb

I think that is what I have been trying to do with this thing I have about running.

I forget (or refuse to acknowledge) that I am an older woman. See, even now I cannot even write the words "senior" or just plain "old." Denial, denial, denial. I have started, quit, re-started and quit the Couch-2-5K program so many times, I've lost count. And I have beaten myself up about it each time. Enough is enough. I'm tired of failing. I'm tired of torturing myself. I'm tired of feeling crappy about myself.

It's time for a sharp turn to the right. Although the C25K will remain my goal, I am not going to start out with it. I will walk instead, increasing the BPM's on my iPod until I think I might be able to start the C25K again. I don't know when that will be. I don't know when I will be ready.

I started walking last week to music that is about 130 and 136 BPM. I have 3 workout/walk CD's produced by Shape magazine that I've had for several years. I downloaded them to my iTunes and put two of the walk workouts on my iPod. Each workout is about an hour, but at that pace, I cannot do an hour yet. Plus, I have to skip a couple of the songs in the middle of the walk program because they are just too fast for me right now. And I am sore. I am very sore, primarily in my ankles and hips. That's okay. I will get there (where ever "there" is)... eventually.

So, now I am off to walk. I'm old. I'm walking. It's better than sitting.

No comments: